Rebecca Peterson Studio
Modern Organic Design


Creativity. Design. Life.

How To Set up a Successful Brand/Business Page on Facebook

This information might be common knowledge to some of you, but I know there are a lot of people who are overwhelmed by social media and would really benefit from a straightforward introduction. I've used Facebook to promote my own design work as well as college groups, theatre events, dance companies, beef retailers, and dental labs. The possibilities are truly endless! I know there are a lot of complicated guides to advertising on Facebook and reaching your target audience, but if you just want to know the basics of setting up a Facebook page for your brand, this is the place for you!

The beginner's guide to making a Facebook page!

The beginner's guide to making a Facebook page!


  • A personal Facebook account
  • A profile picture (1000 x 1000px)
  • A cover photo (851 x 315px)
  • A short mission statement
  • General information about your business/brand


  • To access your new Facebook page, sign into your personal Facebook account and select the arrow on the far right and choose the account you want to use.
  • Sign into your personal Facebook account
  • On the right, there's a group of dark blue icons
  • Click on the arrow on the far right
  • Select "Create a Page"
  • Select your page type
  • Enter your mission statement and other relevant information
  • Select "Save Info"

Your page is now live! Let's make it look good.

  • Upload a profile photo
  • Upload a cover photo

f you're not a designer, you can make a cute profile photo and cover photo by using Canva. 

To access your new Facebook page, sign into your personal Facebook account and select the arrow on the far right and choose the account you want to use.


To understand how Facebook works, you first need to learn about content marketing. Google defines content marketing as ". . . a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly-defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action."

Basically, you post interesting pictures, quotes, and articles on Facebook in the hopes that your audience will become so interested in your brand that they buy what you are selling. Sounds easy enough, right? Kind of. Success on Facebook is both very simple and very complicated. Here's the truth. Facebook makes it very easy to reach a large audience IF you pay for their advertising. If you don't want to pay for advertising, you can still reach a large audience, but it will take a much longer time.

Once you have a Facebook page, this is what you should do:

  • Create regular content
  • Post content regularly
  • Interact with other Facebook pages and users
  • Interact with the audience on your page


80% of what you post on Facebook should be content created by your brand, and the other 20% can be brand-related content that wasn't necessarily created by you. Below is a list of basic content ideas, but it would be most helpful to find a similar brand who is successful on Facebook and copy their strategy.

  • Pictures
  • Videos
  • Quotes
  • Jokes
  • Blog posts
  • Articles
  • Testimonials
  • Case Studies
  • About Us
  • Services
  • Behind the scenes
  • Upcoming projects
  • Events
  • Recent Publicity
  • Special offers
  • Contests


This really depends on the kind of business you have, but as a rule of thumb, afternoon/early evening is probably the best time.


Again, this answer varies based on your industry, but I've found that posting 3-5x a week is really optimal. I don’t know if you can really "over-post" on Facebook, but 3-5x a week seems to work well. See what works for you!


If you go to your home page (the page where you first uploaded a profile and cover photo), there's a tab at the top that says, "Insights." Click on that and you can see which posts are the most popular, how many likes your page has, and what similar pages are posting.

I hope this guide is useful for any of you new to social media! I love maintaining a presence on Facebook and I have found it to be a great venue for connecting with other creative businesses and potential clients.

Thanks for reading!


Rebecca PetersonComment